How to Solve Spotify Public Key Unknown Error
- Adam Douglas
Running Spotify on Linux can be a challenge but it is possible and one such challenge is figuring out how to obtain the public key in order to install the Spotify client. Each package that is installed on a Linux system is verified using a public key to private key verification process. In this particular situation the public key is not found or unknown on the configured key server and therefore fails the verification process. To resolve this, the public key must be imported into the key database first before installing the Spotify client. Lets begin resolving this problem.
Tested using the following…
- Arch Linux x86_64
- Fish v3.6.0
- GNU bash v5.1.16
- Pikaur v1.8
- Spotify v126.96.36.1996
- Steps prefixed with a “$” (dollar sign) represents the CLI (command-line interface) prompt
- Steps prefixed with a “#” (number sign) represents the CLI prompt with elevated user permissions (e.g. root)
- The text after the “$” or “#” is to be entered at the CLI
- Understanding how to use an AUR helper (e.g. Pikaur)
Installation or update of the Spotify client fails with the following error message.
==> Verifying source file signatures with gpg... spotify-188.8.131.526-6-Release ... FAILED (unknown public key 7A3A762FAFD4A51F) ==> ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!
Using curl the public key will be downloaded and then imported into the key database. Once this has completed successfully you will now be able to install or update the Spotify client.
$ curl -sS https://download.spotify.com/debian/pubkey_7A3A762FAFD4A51F.gpg | gpg --import -
# pikaur -Sy spotify
I’m publishing this as part of 100 Days To Offload. You can join in yourself by visiting 100DaysToOffload.com.
- Arch Linux Install AUR Helper, Adamsdesk KB
- Arch Linux
- Arch User Repository, ArchWiki
- AUR (en) - spotify
- AUR helpers, ArchWiki
- curl package, Arch Linux
- GNU Privacy Guard, Wikipedia
- GnuPG logo, Wikimedia Commons
- Spotify for Linux
- Spotify logo, Wikimedia Commons
- Spotify, Wikipedia
- Fix link to https
- change topic
- change topic
- Change title
- Add reference link
- Update version numbers
- Fix curl example