I’ve been baking bread for many years and honestly I feel my method is not likely what most would do. I don’t enjoy kneading the dough, so I let my bread machine do the kneading for me. Then I bake the bread in the oven. The reason for this is bread baked in an oven is light, fluffy, not dense and allows for the bread to rise with much less restriction. As well to me the bread machines don’t get hot enough as bread dough generally loves heat. This recipe I’m about to share was given to me by my Grandmother and it’s pretty much remained the same. I just gave more specific details in the directions and added some notes. With all that said let’s get on with the recipe.
Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- Preparation 15 minutes
- Kneading Unknown
- Proofing 30 minutes
- Baking 30 minutes
- Ready in 3 hours
- Yield 1 loaf (1.36 kgs. / 3 lbs.)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp powered milk
- 2 tbsp margarine / butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp yeast
- Place ingredients in order as listed into the bread machine pan.
- Put bread machine pan into bread machine.
- Set bread machine to dough mode.
- Start bread machine.
- Lightly grease bread pan with margarine or butter just before bread machine has completed.
- Place dough on to a flat surface.
- Work the dough by hand or with rolling pin to work out the air pockets.
- Shape dough into a log that fits the size of your bread pan.
- Transfer dough into greased bread pan.
- Cover bread with tea towel to proof for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 176 °C (350 °F) for about 10 minutes before proofing has completed.
- Place bread pan into oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove bread pan from the oven.
- Remove bread loaf from the bread pan by lightly shaking the pan so that the loaf lightly falls out onto it’s side.
- Place bread up right and allow to cool.
- If you are actually using 100% whole grain flour make sure to use 1 cup of white / 100% whole wheat flour out of the 3 1/4 cups. If this is not done the bread will be very heavy, dense and may also rise less.
- 100% whole wheat flour in Canada is actually 60% whole wheat flour and 40% white flour.
- You may wish to score the bread before placing into the oven.
- After baking the bread loaf take a brush and spread some margarine or butter over the top of the loaf for a glistened look.
Do you have something to say about this recipe or have a recipe, why not share by contacting me.
I’m publishing this as part of 100 Days To Offload. You can join in yourself by visiting 100DaysToOffload.com.